Sunday, November 22, 2009

Don't Forget Thanksgiving!

I don't know about you guys but I am just becoming more and more frustrated and annoyed with retailers skipping Thanksgiving and going right to Christmas beginning in September! Christmas has been slowly but surely creeping farther and farther back. When I was young I remember my Mimi commenting on how terrible she thought it was that stores had Christmas out in early November. Well these days we see Chistmas popping up in stores as early as September and I think it is a crime. They use this tactic to get us to buy, buy, buy. Buy presents, buy decorations, buy clothing!. I'm not falling for it. Yes I have made a few ornaments and have been thinking of some Christmas decorating ideas but I can assure you I will not ignore Thanksgiving and to me the Christmas season does not begin until we have recovered from our turkey hangovers.
Lilly and I were at the mall a couple of days ago and Santa himself was already there! Can you believe that? He's been there for weeks already. Lilly did catch a glimpse of him and got a sparkle in her eye, but I sped by because it's not time for that yet! I went to Walmart the other day looking for Thanksgiving plates and napkins and there were none to be found. Where the fall decor once was (back in September), it was all Christmas. Last night was the Christmas light show and tree lighting here in town. We didn't go. It's not Christmas yet.
Lilly and I have been reading Thanksgiving books and talking about how important the holiday is for the past few weeks. I want my daughter to know that Thanksgiving is a very important holiday. What could be more important than being with family and thanking God for all of the blessings in our lives.
I know Thanksgiving is not a glitzy holiday and there are no presents and gobs of decorations and that is why the retailers want you to shove it to the back of your mind, but I urge you to put Christmas out of your mind for the next few days and focus on giving thanks.
I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving filled with family, love, and warm memories. Love, Molly

1 comment:

  1. Stop dissin Christmas. We have had it out since the day after halloween! Now, I not saying that Thanksgiving is not important and all, but Christmas is just a litte more important. I do agree that stores put Christmas out too early this year. They could have waited until October to put it out. But its all about BUY, BUY, BUY. It amazes me how much people are buying, and we are supposed to be in a recession! Anyway, I guess I'll see you in a few days. Ya'll might have to stop buy my house (in Prairieville) after Nottoway(Which by the way, I dont know if you know, we are eating there the same time ya'll are). See you soon!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...